Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  LaurianeD on Mon 9 May - 11:35

I agree with you, Elise, I think that a lot of people doesn't use Facebook in order to lie or create a "new character" but there are probably people who are searching it from the Internet and so, from Facebook.

LaurianeD

Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  ludivinec on Mon 9 May - 11:35

Aufrant Marion wrote: It's not really you real life, but everybody lies. It's just a new rule in the Internet.

I agree with Marion, because on the internet, everybody lies about their life, sometimes about their opinion and their name. For the major part of people, it became common to lie on the internet about their life.

ludivinec

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Carole on Mon 9 May - 11:36

I rather agree with Elise, most of the time we use the Internet to stay in touch with our friends, but it's also true that some people use this to cheat and lie (like pedophiles ...).

Carole

Posts : 11
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Anaïs TL on Mon 9 May - 11:36

“ I don't see the Internet and particulary the social network as a tool which permit us to lie.”

I agree with you, and the most of the people think that. But, there are some people who like to lie on Internet because maybe there are isolated in a real life. So, is a means to create a new personality for this person.

Anaïs TL

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Carolec on Mon 9 May - 11:37

I think that we can create some social links if we lie, because people to facebook don't know if we lie or not. Perhaps people on facebook also lie.

Carolec

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  marined on Mon 9 May - 11:37

Aufrant Marion wrote:I don't say that everybody must lie about all and nothing. But changing little things it's not very serious. Things like physical for example. Some people use the Internet to hide themselves behind the screen.

But of course on the Internet most of the people cheat and lie, even for stupid things which have no importance, but the fact is that they don't show who they are truely.

[the conclusion is : lying is bad]


Last edited by marine descamps on Mon 9 May - 11:39; edited 1 time in total

marined

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Elise on Mon 9 May - 11:37

Before everything, I think the social media just permit to stay in touch with friends and family ! If we speak with people who know you, I don't see the interest to lie.

Elise

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  ludivinec on Mon 9 May - 11:40

Carole Laville wrote: but it's also true that some people use this to cheat and lie (like pedophiles ...).

I agree with Carole. A lot of pedophile use internet for found a young victims. There are many unit against pedophily on the internet.

ludivinec

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Kédem Ferré on Mon 9 May - 11:41

You speak a lot of lying and being dishonnest on the Internet, but this is only part of Virginia Heffernan's views. She also insists on fictional creation ...
avatar
Kédem Ferré
Admin

Posts : 93
Join date : 2010-06-22
Location : France

http://www.kedemferre.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Elise on Mon 9 May - 11:45

marine descamps wrote:But to create a fictionnal character is the same thing as lying about who you are

I agree !

Elise

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  mariona on Mon 9 May - 11:46

It's the social media which create this feeling that you are obligated to lie. With the social media you can know everything about everybody. It's a pervers effect.

mariona

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Solveig on Mon 9 May - 11:47

About fictional creation, with all the things people put on the Internet, it's like everybody tried to write his own biography online with the help of his "friends" on social media, with articles, pictures and videos, and vice versa with them.


Last edited by Solveig on Tue 10 May - 14:07; edited 1 time in total

Solveig

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Juliette on Mon 9 May - 11:47

marine descamps wrote:But to create a fictionnal character is the same thing as lying about who you are
I agree, because a fiction is not the reality,so you lie when you create a "fictionnal character" about you.
And I also agree with Marion, when you see you can know everything about someone just with the help of tthe social media.


Last edited by JulietteFreneat on Mon 9 May - 11:50; edited 1 time in total

Juliette

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  LaurianeD on Mon 9 May - 11:48

I think that Virginia's point of view is really interesting. I agree with her because, on the Internet, we are able to be anonymous so it can be easier for us to be more creative: people judges what you do and create and not who you are. So, people can find an easier way to create on the Internet than in real life.

LaurianeD

Posts : 4
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Anaïs TL on Mon 9 May - 11:49

About fictionnal creation, with all the things people put on the Internet, it's like everybody tried to write his own biography online with the help of his "friends" on social media, with articles, pictures and videos, and vice versa with them.
So it’s not a fictional creation since the pictures as you say, represent the person and not a fictional person

Anaïs TL

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Carole on Mon 9 May - 11:49

I also agree with Marine, but you can create a fictional character whitout lying, just in creating a different person and if people on the Internet know that's it isn't a real person, it just can be good or fun.

Carole

Posts : 11
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  ludivinec on Mon 9 May - 11:50

I agree with Marion. It's pervers for everybody. Because it's like exibitionism. All of people can see the life of all of people !


Last edited by Ludivine Chapon TL on Mon 9 May - 11:51; edited 1 time in total

ludivinec

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  mariona on Mon 9 May - 11:50

But the real question is : The Internet is a tool for working or for playing ?

mariona

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  AlexTL on Mon 9 May - 16:59

Ludivine Chapon TL wrote:I agree with Marion. It's pervers for everybody. Because it's like exibitionism. All of people can see the life of all of people !

Each people can see other's life but not because of that pervers effect Marion is talking about (even if i agree with her) but more because people decided so, and Anais, you said that "it’s not a fictional creation since the pictures as you say, represent the person and not a fictional person". Pictures, videos are chosen, they just share a video or a picture which match with the character they wanted to be.
Okay you are not obliged to lie, you are not forced to cast or create another character but most of people do it, as most of people are on facebook, why ? because there is a mass effect, as sheep.

AlexTL

Posts : 4
Join date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Doriane on Tue 10 May - 14:15

I agree with Virginia Hefferman and the part of the class about the risk to create a fictive life in facebook and in social media but to give informations about the place where you live , the place where you study or the real face in internet is a risk too. So invent a profil isn't it preferable to go away from any danger?

Doriane

Posts : 3
Join date : 2011-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Carole on Tue 10 May - 14:16

AlexTL wrote:most of people are on facebook, why ? because there is a mass effect, as sheep.

But a "mass effect" isn't always a bad thing. If everybody does something, most of the time it's because it is a good thing or, for Facebook, it's because you can speak with all of your friends. Even if you're a "sheep", it could be a good thing if it makes you happier.

Carole

Posts : 11
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  marined on Tue 10 May - 14:17

[quote="Kédem Ferré"]
The experience of Facebook to me is not another experience of social life, it's an experience of fantasy, of character creation, a kind of novel writing where you cast the characters, you choose a face for yourself, you curate photographs that tell stories about yourself. I bring to it the same enthusiasm that I would bring to reading or writing a novel, as opposed to whatever I bring to social life.

I understand what she says but I think if everyone have the same idea about the Internet as her, people won't speak each other, but every one will be talking to a character which has maybe nothing to see with the man who created it, and so it's as if everyone is participating to a big "movie", with many characters play by 'actors'. And so, it won't have nothing to see with a social media.

marined

Posts : 7
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Anaïs TL on Tue 10 May - 14:19

The experience of Facebook to me is not another experience of social life, it's an experience of fantasy, of character creation, a kind of novel writing where you cast the characters, you choose a face for yourself, you curate photographs that tell stories about yourself. I bring to it the same enthusiasm that I would bring to reading or writing a novel, as opposed to whatever I bring to social life.
-------------

Yes we can cast our characters, curate photographs on facebook, but I didn't think that Facebook is "an experience of fantasy". Indeed, writing a novel and go to facebook are different. Facebook is a means to chatting with friends or people which are different to « reading or writing a novel ».

Anaïs TL

Posts : 8
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Juliette on Tue 10 May - 14:19

I agree, you are not oblige to lie, and you are not oblige to create a "character" or have a facebook account. But actually, a lot of person are on facebook, and can see a lot of things about you(as where you live, etc... ) as Doriane write. And I think it can be dangerous if you don't take care about it.

Juliette

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Solveig on Tue 10 May - 14:21

I don't share Virginia Heffernan's opinion when she says: "The experience of Facebook to me is not another experience of social life." I think it is another experience of social life, not face to face but hide behind a screen. There's less fear linked to what other people can think of what you said, even if consequences always are when you really see them.

Solveig

Posts : 10
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  mariona on Tue 10 May - 14:23

I think that Internet is a huge world where everybody do what they want and if they want lie about their lifes and their opinions, they could ! But if they think that Internet is a tool for working or for created link, they could use the Internet in a different way.

mariona

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia Heffernan (New York Times)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum